I recently finished work on my first Java ME application. It was basically a prototyping application for my client based in Italy, to see how fast can we send SMSes from his service provider.
The application (whose jad & jar files are attached below), basically sends a SMS to a list of entered mobile numbers and records the time taken for sending the SMSes. This time is presented after all the SMSes have been sent successfully in the format:
Total x SMS sent in y milliseconds
Avg. Time: z
Here x,y and z would be substituted with actual data. The client targets to achieve something sround 20-.40 SMSes per second (which I sincerely believe is not possible. Such throughput can only be achieved via SMS gateways in my opinion). This application was built for timing the maximum rate at which we can send SMSes from the client’s service provider. If we succeed in anything close to that, we would take this application forward from there.
I have used the WMA 2.0 optional package on top of CLDC with MIDP. The code was comparatively easier to write. The major problem I faced was regarding the selection of tools.
JME SDK 3.0 is the current version of the JME SDK. However, its IDE lacks even basic debugging support. I tried with multiple Nokia SDKs. However, none worked on my Windows 7 machine.
After considerable pain, I succeeded with NetBeans 6.7.1 with Mobility pack installed, and JME SDK 3.0 and got all the regular coding, debugging, profiling support. I also succeeded in achieving the same with Nokia’s all-in-one SDK 5.0 v1. However, I must say, Nokia’s emulator is a lot slower & takes quite a bit of time to load up.
To use this application, simply copy it to your JME enabled mobile (both the .jad & .jar files). Then open .jad file. The application should start installation.
While sending the SMS, the mobile may prompt you to allow this app to send SMS. Click Ok to give this permission to this app. To avoid having to give this prmission each time, you can configure the same in your mobile’s Application Manager.